2.0 Litre Container
This vegan version of the classic Italian dish wraps a flavorful quinoa and vegetable blend in tender slices of baked eggplant.
Submitted by: Dr. Fuhrman
2.0 Litre Container
2 eggplants, peeled, sliced lengthwise ½-inch (1.5 cm) thick
2 medium (280 g) red bell peppers, seeded, chopped
1 medium (120 g) onion, peeled, chopped
1 (130 g) carrot, chopped
½ (50 g) celery stalk, chopped
4 small garlic cloves, chopped
7 cups (225 g) baby spinach
1 teaspoon no-salt Italian seasoning blend
1 cup (185 g) quinoa, cooked
2 cups (480 ml) no-salt added tomato sauce
1 cup (150 g) non-dairy mozzarella-type cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until eggplant is flexible enough to roll up easily. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 Tablespoons water in a large pan. Add bell pepper, onion, celery, and garlic.
5. Sauté until just tender, adding more water if needed.
6. Add spinach and Italian seasoning and cook until spinach is wilted. Add cooked quinoa.
7. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
8. Mix in 2-3 Tablespoons pasta sauce and all of the shredded cheese.
9. Spread about ¼ cup (60ml) of the pasta sauce in a baking dish.
10. Put some of the vegetable mixture on each eggplant slice, roll up and place in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the eggplant rolls.
11. Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through.
Pine Nut Romesco Sauce
2 small garlic cloves
1 (70 g) roasted red bell pepper, seeded
2 Tablespoons (30 ml) water
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
2 Tablespoons pine nuts
½ medium (60 g) tomato
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. To make romesco sauce, place garlic, red peppers, water, vinegar, chili powder, pine nuts, tomato and yeast into the Vitamix container and secure the lid.
2. Start the blender on its lowest speed, then quickly increase to Variable 2, using the tamper to press ingredients toward the blades.
3. Blend for 15 to 20 seconds or until chunky, using the tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
4. Serve eggplant topped with romesco sauce.
Mediterranean pine nuts are best!
|Serving Size||1 serving (515 g)|
|Amount Per Servings|